Returning to the city

This entry originally appeared on The Post ( on January 12, 2010.

‘Twas the evening of Christmas, and some friends and I were off to see Avatar 3D.

All the world was covered in snow, and cars were buried below; one of which was my friend Kyle’s Chevy Tahoe. Though four-wheel drive and burly as can be, this beast of a truck refused to budge free. After half an hour of shoveling and pushing galore, a grungy, lame dude barked from his door, “Hey guys. I’ll get your car out of there for 20 bucks.” To that I wanted to utter a few friendly f***s. Instead we declined and then persevered; Ben and I pushed and we pushed while Kyle deftly steered. After a dozen more tries and a final big push, we rocked that car out while I nearly fell on my tush. With a final farewell and a flip of the bird, we jumped in the car and proceeded onward. Avatar was canceled to our chagrin, so we bought some hot chocolate and decided to stay in.

As much fun as that was to write, many more memories made my trip home a joy and success. Despite the timely onslaught of the blizzard and the ensuing days trapped inside, my return to the Midwest was fraught with joyous reunions and pleasant evenings by the fire, or at least in front of the television. Having only a dozen afternoons and nights to spend with friends and family, I scheduled coffee dates, dinner dates and after-dinner drinks galore while still managing to see Avatar 3D. Twice.

Regardless of my frantic running around Sioux Falls, I managed to enjoy a number of lovely conversations and warm embraces while recounting stories of my adventures in New York City. With a flurry of topics ranging from engaged/married/pregnant friends to our personal struggles with life after college, each pleasant encounter with old friends provided feelings of nostalgia and excitement for the future.

Besides spending time with friends, a number of days were dedicated to my family where we bonded over Trivial Pursuit Beatles Edition, Guitar Hero and marathons of Criminal Minds. Mom and I even managed to cook a Christmas feast without a single mishap. The time spent lazily lounging about in my newly received Snuggie while sipping coffee and reading was something that I hadn’t enjoyed back in NYC. Being home in the Midwest provided me a calm and tranquility that I had forgotten about. While the wind whipped drifts and snow continuously fell, the streets were empty and Sioux Falls was quiet. It was strange seeing streets without people or cars on them. Strange and unsettling.

Already I had grown accustomed to the constant buzz of the city. The silence loomed where once car horns blared and Hy-Vee replaced the local bodega. After less than two weeks back in South Dakota I already missed my new home in the city. I longed to return to my room, my friends and my job. After all was said and done and the meetings with friends concluded, I was ready to get on that plane to return to my new life in the New Year.

A week has passed since I returned to city life. The streets are busier than ever and my work at The Broadway League has me learning the ins and out of commercial theatre at a break-neck speed. Though I don’t have a single moment to catch my breath, I’m starting this year on the right foot. This is the first year full year of my official adulthood, and frankly, I’m ready for it.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead.


~ by Geoffrey on 12 January 2010.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: